Monday, January 17, 2011

Celebrations

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to me……. Happy birthday dear Richard and Ingrid ….. happy birthday to you.
The past two weeks were party weeks in our place. As I celebrated my birthday last January 6th, Richard celebrated it on Friday January 14th. Richard had a 3-day celebration starting on Thursday. I missed Richard celebration because I went to Obudu Plateau this weekend, celebrating my birthday for the second time.
On Thursday we invited all VSO-volunteers in Lafia to have a drink on Richards New Year’s Eve. Or as Richard did he invited all the VSO-volunteers in Lafia to ‘Ingrid’s’ place. I got home from work a little bit early so I could decorate the house al little and get some cake at Romantic Bakery. I already bought a present for Richard so that was something less to think about. After cleaning the house a little and putting up the balloons, I was ready to roll. Teddy, Sreela, Samuel, Mike, Viola and Edet came after 18.00 or so. Mike took care of dinner after Sreela, Edet and Viola finish the cutting of the veggies. It turned out to be a nice evening with Indo Mie as birthday dinner and some beers and other drinks. 
As Viola and Edet left around 23.00, Richard and I decided to stay up and wait for the real birthday. Hot chocolate with Baileys kept us awake. Nice!!!

Next day I left for work without the intension to do anything but arranging a car to go to Obudu. We would be traveling with the 6 of us so that’s 1 car full. It would be nice to go without the hassle of public transport. Luckily Jibrin, colleague, knew somebody how would drive us and would stay with us this weekend. It turned out to be a big Peugeot station wagon. Really good for just for the 6 of us (normally they put in 9 passengers is a car like this).
Around 13.00 we left for Obudu Plateau  in Cross River State. Getting at Abebe’s Lodge, after 5 ours in a car, there was a little bit of a disappointment. We came into our room and saw: A small double bed, a shower and toilet in one (you could sit on the toilet while showering), a ceiling that was not finished and a dirty carpet. On the bed we found a blanket but no sheet to sleep under. Little bit unhygienic. Kim and I laughed our buds off. It was only 5000 Naira a night ;-).
After installing ourselves in our rooms we wanted something to eat. I thought I had arranged food for that evening but the guy there said that I didn’t. He could arrange something, rice and stew, for 350 Naira! 350 Naira!!! Normally I pay 100 or 150 for rice, beans and stew!! It should be a good stew then……. Disappointment was big, nothing special about the rice and stew. We also ordered breakfast for the next morning, bread and a fried egg, for 300 Naira. It turned out to be 2 slices of bread and a creasy egg; we had to pay extra for extra bread. Pffffff. You really could know that we were in a highly touristic place.

During breakfast I asked what everybody wanted to do that day; hiking, Afi Drill ranch or something else. Teddy and Sreela, (Indian couple) wanted to go to Afi Drill ranch, the rest hiking. After arranging everything for Teddy and Sreela we had to negotiate about the prices of a guide to bring us to the waterfalls. First offer; 3000 Naira, second offer; 2000 Naira a person, third decision was just to go and walk. After three steps a guy came after us that he wanted to bring us to the waterfalls. We were a little bit suspicious and asked: ’how much will you charge?’ ‘Nothing’: he said: ‘why should I, my parents have to support me, I don’t have to pay my own expenses.’ Surprised as we were we agreed that he could bring us. It turned out to be a nice guy that could tell a lot about his village and the area.
The walk was steep and only downhill!!! I don’t like going downhill at all!!!!! I think it took us 45 min to get down at the waterfall; my knees were trembling like a snake’s tail. But our reward was great!
We spent about an hour just sitting with our feet in the ice cold water and the boy’s (including Mike) were swimming. Just cooling down, like they do every day; as they told us.
The way up was much better than the way down. I like going up. Only for Samuel it was a less pleasant walk. His fitness wasn’t to good so he had to stop quite often. Kim and I decided to go on and Mike offered to stay with Samuel. It took Kim and me just one hour to get back as it took Samuel and Mike about 4 hours.
In that time Kim and I had a drink, bought some fruit and walked the canopy trail. Another nice relaxing place. Superb!!!
That evening we didn’t want to spend 350 naira on rice and beans so we went to the restaurant to ask about a buffet. Viola told us about it; real cheese, fresh fruit, good bread, nice soup and western meat dishes. But no…………….. No buffet out of tourist season, only a la carte. Thought, we decided just to eat there, I spend 2000 naira on chicken soup and a real Greek salad with real feta!! Expensive but real nice!
Next morning we went to the cable cars. A long ride, about 9 km, down to the waterpark at the entrance of the cattle ranch. Magnificent, the views and the slides at the waterpark!




1 comment: