Monday, February 14, 2011

Learning in Abuja

What does a teacher need to know before you put him/her in front of a classroom? That was the main question I had to ask myself the last few weeks after Christmas. What is important to know? What are the essential basics about teaching?
These questions guided me in organizing a 2-day-workshop for NGVP in Abuja last week (7th and 8th of February). The topics that popped up in my mind were; learning theories, learning strategies, learning ability, learning styles, Bloom, Maslov, pedagogy, personal development, self-reflection on teaching, didactics, effective learning and participation.
So I picked a few of those topics and asked my colleagues to prepare a part of the workshop. So in Kano they had to prepare something about learning in general, learning styles and personal development. I asked Lea from Kwara to prepare the part about active learning and participation. And I prepared the part about pedagogy and classroom/school management. But also an alternative program in case somebody couldn’t be there.

I arrived in Abuja on Friday February 4th to photocopy the handouts and other stuff we needed during the program. We planned to meet in Abuja on Saturday so we would have an extra day for last minute preparation. But like everything in Nigeria, things don’t go as planned. Lea couldn’t come at all and the people from Kano couldn’t come earlier then Sunday because the car wasn’t there on Saturday. So there was nothing else to do then find something to do for myself. Visit Wuse market, get my phone fixed and move from Viola’s apartment to Crystal Palace. In the evening I met Thessa and we went clubbing/dancing at Ibiza. Nice to be in the city!!! Thanks Thessa!
On Sunday I decided it should be a slow day; late breakfast and swimming. And in de late afternoon I did some reading in the lobby of the hotel because all participants should arrive.
It was nice to see all my own NGV’s again after a real long break, but it was also nice to see all the others and the international volunteers.
Monday Marianne and Annabelle started the main sessions about Learning and Learning styles, after a short introduction activity. How the brain works…….. Basic needs before somebody is able to learn anything. Sensory learning like, visual, auditory and kinaesthetic learning. Learning theories like behaviorism, cognitivism and constructivism. All these words should be acracadabra any more for the participants. It was really good and inspiring to see the participants debating the topics. They kept asking questions about the topics even after the day was over.
The next day it was Julian and my turn to perform. I started the day about inclusive education; how do you involve all the children from your classroom in your lesson? What do you need to consider on fore hand? How can you create a learning friendly environment in the classroom and school? All those questions are important to answer before starting teaching.
Julian had the graveyard shift with his session about effective learning. During this session it was really nice to see how Marianne was right about the different learning styles. Julian only addressed to the auditory learners, so the others had problems staying tuned in. Chinedu, as a total visual learner, even fell asleep. Nice moment to reflect on.
Most important for me was the input of the participants, their enthusiasm and the evaluation of the whole training. Most beautiful comments were:
•The lesson/lectures helped me to have interest in teaching more than any other work
•The workshop was full of fun and interesting
•I learned that you people have what it takes! I really feel good.
I was tired but I felt full of new energy after the workshop

No comments:

Post a Comment