Wednesday, April 25, 2012

getting started

Lots of things are going on lately. Finally my work is getting started now I get to the end of my placement. It is a strange feeling though getting to the end of my placement. I have mixed feelings about Naija, about my work, about the sustainability of the programme and about a lot more. 
Lately I have had some discussions with Yakiem about the NGVP and my role and responsibilities. I don't understand it anymore, at least if I have to describe my feelings about those discussions. I have to hand the NGVP over to partners but there are no partners and I also am not allowed to identify them and start the path to partnership with them, at the same time Yakiem provided me with all the information how to start a partnership. Then you have Yakiem, who is starting up new partnerships just on a hunch and in Kano (a city where we as international VSO’s are not allowed to go). We have had a meeting with Ladidi who came for this occasion to Abuja, she asked for help in teacher training for current teachers as only 25% of their teachers was qualified as teachers, but Yakiem is so focused on NGVP that he didn’t really listened to this and just started talking about how to implement the NGVP in the Kano State Senior Secondary School Management Board (KSSSSMB). Ladidi was a bit struck back because they have enough teachers, even a lot on a list to be employed.  
As second frustration, out of experience, I know that no Governmental organisation is willing to take responsibility as long as they sign something official. So I really try to get them involved, but Yakiem is questioning it all too much. I don't know if it is trust or anything but it is annoying as I see NGVP die if we don't start signing contracts of one sort or the other. 
But I just told him I will not take any decisions anymore, I will let him decide what is needed, I am almost leaving and shouldn't stress myself too much. With this in the back of your head the next part of this blog will sound strange and dubious, because I still try to get organisations on board to carry on this NGVP. Last week for example I have had a wonderful first meeting with the Ministry of Science and Technology in Lafia. It was a advocacy visit for NGVP and VSO, to see if we can become partners in improving science education. They looked like a quite well organized small Ministry with a lot of good ideas. They have a resource development department in which they develop teaching aids for science and vocational training. They showed me around after we have had a small chat about their wishes and our opportunities. They also took me to one of the four vocational training centers they have in Nassarawa. Really nice! They are really trying to give school drop-outs and unemployable youth a change to start their own business. After each course a participant is entitled to get some materials to really start of a business. No money but materials, which I think is good. There are two different programmes one for children that don’t have their WAEC or NECO or any other exam-certificate, and one for young adults and women who need to generate their own income and want to do this through a trade. At the surface it all look quite well organized, but to get a real impression VSO needs to do a OrgScan or Organsation assessment. Together with the first impressions I gave this advice to Yakiem as a conclusion of my visit.
Somehow I sometimes think I am doing the right thing although it isn’t always what Yakiem wants or expects. At least I know I am appreciated by the people I work with and the organisations I start talking to. Appreciation that is shown in different ways, like getting a big heap of yams and a ride home by a private driver ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment