Tuesday, August 16, 2011

after the assessments


Workshops for new national volunteers, young people about to become teachers without any or with small teacher experience. That is quite a challenge. Where do you start with a group like that and what do you choose to do when you only have a total of 4 hours to teach about teaching. I choose to teach about good learning and how to establish that with good teaching. I tried to make clear that teaching is more than just lecturing. That teaching is hard work and a noble job.
The 20 selected youngsters (3 women and rest men) where eager to learn and very participatory, so the time flew. On Wednesday I had 2 hours planned with small group discussions, educational dialogues and lectures. Two hours to get participants to reflect on their own learning and how they can motivated good learning as teachers. It was exhausting for them and giving me energy. It gave me nough energy to do another 3 hours on Thursday, which I filled with group work and discussions. I organized a carrousel or busstop system so all participants were able to go through all assignments. It was a day to get them to think about different ways of teaching, about different seating arrangements and about their own way of addressing pupils. I think it was a success although this day was even more exhausting for the participants. I keep admiring how Nigerians can concentrate for long periods at the time. Maybe that is a good thing about the teaching style here. Everybody learns to adjust to the lecturer. I hope the photo’s give a little idea about the workshops.
My workshops about teaching were not the only thinks going on on those days; Mrs Awakassien, Chinwe and Victoria also had to take parts of the workshop. Issues as volunteering, the programme and inclusion where addressed by them.



No comments:

Post a Comment