Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Amazing

I know and understand that religion is really important in this country. I also want to let everybody be who he wants to be, moslim, Christian whatever I don’t mind. I only wish that people also let me be who I want to be.
Last weekend I felt sick and didn’t know what to think about what I felt, so I started scanning the health handbook. According to the symptoms I had and the symptoms described in the handbook I most likely suffered Dengue fever. This sounds serious so I called a befriended doctor. He told me he wanted to see me before he could say anything; logic. So last Sunday we went to Dunoma for a drink so that we could talk about the symptoms and about other things. He was quite clear about his diagnoses, I probably was allergic to something because there is no Dengue in Nigeria (Wrong!! There is and there have been some epidemics here). He joked that maybe I was allergic to him because we didn’t see each other for quite a while. And yes, now a few days later, I think I could be allergic to him. Want to know what triggered this reaction? The other things we talked about.
Let me explain. After two Guinness doc tried to convince me of opening up to God in the spiritual way, as I was already living a Christian lifestyle. He started talking about the true meaning of religion, about the difference between Islam and Christianity. That everybody needs to be Christian as that is the real spiritual way. Believing in something after death gives meaning to life. According to him moslims are believing a manmade religion as Mohammed didn’t belief in God as the father of Jesus. Also Mohammed promised marriage after death, which in Christianity is impossible as everybody will be equal in heaven. So far, so good.
Then he started to explain that people, like me, who don’t believe in after death are fatalistic and not more than cockroaches. Living without a purpose is not worth to be called a human living. So That was his first statement against me. I was to be compared with a cockroach. Maybe I should have walked away then, but I stayed. Little bit intrigued by his next step. His next step was comparing homosexuality to pedophilia, kleptomania, rape and murder. Mmmm, for somebody with friends in this segment of humanity this really hurt me. Comparing my friends like that. I told him that he hurt me twice in just a small amount of time, but he just went on explaining his statement on homosexuality. He said that God gave us a free will and rules to live by. We have to learn to control the free will. Like murderers have to control their free will to kill another human being, homo’s need to control their own free will to have sex with the same sex. The only think I could think of with my upset mind was to say that his comparison was unequal as murder, rape and theft are not in a consensus of both parties and homosexuality is. So the fact if it is free will or not still makes it not comparable to his examples.
Now he is confused that I don’t want to see him anymore. How can I have a nice drink with somebody that really hurt me on the inside? He says he apologized for his behaviour. How can you apologize for something you believe in. The only thing I can do is let him be and he has to let me be.

No comments:

Post a Comment